D.2. Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant
23. In September 2009, Iran informed the Agency that it was constructing the Fordow Fuel EnrichmentPlant (FFEP), located near the city of Qom.
24. To date, Iran has provided the Agency with an initial DIQ and three revised DIQs:
- In October 2009, Iran stated that the purpose of the facility was the production of UF6 enriched up to5% U-235, and that the facility was being built to contain 16 cascades, equally divided between twounits (Unit 1 and Unit 2), with a total of approximately 3000 centrifuges.23
- In September 2010, Iran stated that the purpose of FFEP was to carry out R&D in addition to theproduction of UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235.
- In June 2011, Iran stated that the purpose of FFEP was the production of UF6 enriched up to 20%U-235, as well as to carry out R&D.
- On 18 January 2012, Iran informed the Agency that the “R&D installation” was being removed fromFFEP. In its updated DIQ of the same date, Iran declared that FFEP was designed to facilitate the production of UF6 enriched up to 20% U-235 and the production of UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235 in“both production units”. The DIQ indicated that provision had also been made to enable the operatorto “use some of the cascades for production of 5% LEU while some of them are producing 20%
25. On 14 December 2011, Iran began feeding UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235 that it had previously transferred from FEP into one set of two interconnected cascades in Unit 2 at FFEP, containing 348 centrifuges.24,25Since the Director General’s previous report, Iran has installed 348 centrifuges in asecond set of two interconnected cascades in Unit 2 and, on 25 January 2012, began feeding it with UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235. To date, all the centrifuges installed are IR-1 machines. Iran has estimated that,between 14 December 2011 and 17 February 2012, a total of 99.3 kg of UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235 was fed into the two sets of interconnected cascades at FFEP and that approximately 13.8 kg of UF6 enriched upto 20% U-235 were produced.
26. As of 15 February 2012, in the four remaining cascades of Unit 2 and in the eight cascades of Unit 1,2088 empty IR-1 centrifuge casings had been placed in position and all of the piping had been installed. In aletter dated 16 February 2012, the Agency requested Iran to provide details on how it intends to operate FFEP (whether to produce UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235, to produce UF6 enriched up to 20% U-235, or to produce a combination of both).
27. The Agency has verified that FFEP is being constructed according to the latest DIQ provided by Iran. As previously reported, Iran provided some information in 2011 regarding the initial timing of, and circumstances relating to, its decision to build FFEP at an existing defence establishment.26 Nevertheless,additional information from Iran is still needed in connection with this facility, particularly in relation to its original purpose, given the number of subsequent revisions to the DIQ for FFEP.27
D.3. Other Enrichment Related Activities
28. The Agency is still awaiting a substantive response from Iran to Agency requests for further information in relation to announcements made by Iran concerning the construction of ten new uranium enrichment facilities, the sites for five of which, according to Iran, have been decided.28 Iran has notprovided information, as requested by the Agency in its letter of 18 August 2010, in connection with its announcement on 7 February 2010 that it possessed laser enrichment technology. 29 As a result of Iran’s lackof cooperation on those issues, the Agency is unable to verify and report fully on these matters.